Friday, October 15, 2010

Shuttling between real life and a Dilbert cartoon

There was a heavy rainstorm in the middle of the night last night and I loved it. I think it's a primal comfort to lay in a warm bed while the elements outside have their way. And because the houseboat walls aren't really insulated, it sounded like I was inside a tent. A bonus in my opinion.

When the rain stopped and I went outside this morning, the air was cold and smelled amazingly clean. It was hard not to feel happy with this amazingly beautiful weather. At work today, several co-workers commented on how beautiful it was outside.

In the midst of a gorgeous Seattle day, there were meetings with some representatives from the 'transition' team at Bristol Myers Squibb. They had scheduled two days for a representative from BMS to meet face-to-face with every single member of the Zymogenetics scientific staff. You could tell that a lot of people wore their nice shirts and slacks for the occasion. We cared enough to try to make a decent impression. However, in the end my face-to-face meeting with the BMS manager was less than 5 minutes long and consisted of him reading me the company script. It was devoid of any real content or warmth. Comparing notes, most of my co-workers had the same experience. The entire scenario was a lot like a Dilbert comic-- or a scene from the movie 'Up In the Air'.

Coming home tonight, I was greeted with brisk Autumn air and a starless dark sky. Now *this* feels real, and everything in those office walls is man-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment