Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It sure seems colder by the water

It's definitely Autumn in Seattle. The trees are changing color, the Canadian Geese have left, and it's getting brisk out.

Up until today, I have been opening at least one window after I get home. The temperatures haven't been too bad, and it's nice to have the fresh air in the small living quarters. However, the air was so chilly last night and this morning that I could see my breath in the morning. And I had gotten so used to the cold air that the workplace felt toasty today (and my office usually feels a little cool).

I assumed that the houseboat would be cold and damp in the Seattle winter. I've been told by other houseboaters that this isn't true. But I actually think they are just used to the cold and damp air. I actually think that it IS colder and damper on the water.

It's those Seattle micro-climes. I started my morning run before the sun came out this morning and the air was brisk but not that bad. As I headed to the north shore of the lake, the weather started to change and I could see a fog slowly rolling in. My hands started to get really cold and the air got really damp. As I headed back to the boat, the fog lifted as soon as I crossed a drawbridge and my hands warmed up quickly.

I really noticed the difference in temperature when I went into downtown (away from the water) earlier this evening. Just two miles away and it was at least 5 to 10 degrees warmer among the concrete towers than floating on the water.

I know it's just my opinion, but I do believe that it is colder here on the water. And you can quote me on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment