Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 2: Starting the adventure of houseboat living

As predicted, the horrible techno-music at the Chinese restaurant went until the wee hours of the morning. By 12:30 a.m. I couldn't stand it anymore and I went over to my landbased apartment and slept there.

This morning, after using the landbased toilet and shower, I went on a nice trail run in the woods and a brunch with some new running friends. I took my first shower on the houseboat afterwards and though it took a minute or two for the hot water to get going, it was otherwise a satisfying shower.

Now I'm sitting here on the first floor typing on the laptop and staring out the window. It's relatively peaceful here during the day, and I imagine it's relatively peaceful here in the evenings that the Chinese restaurant doesn't have banquets. The one main quirk I've noticed is that the boat rocks up and down every time a seaplane takes off or lands on the water.

My plans for the day are to move some more stuff over here and to clean the place a bit. Though the owner of this houseboat is an interior designer, she isn't much of a housekeeper. This place needs some elbow grease to clear the cobwebs and dust. I am an unabashed neat freak and the clutter and dirt are bugging me.

I currently see people kayaking and paddleboarding past the boats. Maybe, if I'm lucky, the sun will come out this afternoon and I can enjoy the view from the deck... then again this is Seattle. I can enjoy the view regardless of the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment