Monday, October 18, 2010

Sealeg effect

I've been noticing recently that I sway back and forth when I am on land. I'm not sure if anybody else notices it or if it is just my perception, but I feel like it's hard to walk in a straight line and that I am constantly rocking-- even when I am sitting still at my desk at work.

Starting yesterday afternoon, the water and the houseboat moved around a lot more than I remembered. Since then, I've been feeling especially wobbly on land. Today I saw myself rocking back and forth in the mirror in the ladies room at work.

So my question is, why do all of those pirates and sailors of lore drink so much? Living on a boat is like being perpetually tipsy only without the alcohol. I just imagine that this feeling gets worse with a few bottles of rum-- or maybe not-- maybe getting drunk counteracts the sealeg effect. I think I'll have to test that hypothesis before the month is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment