Thursday, October 28, 2010

I am the slayer

At one of the floating homes I looked at for rent, the homeowner pointed out that a beaver was chewing-up the flagpole. In the week since it was erected, at least 3-4 inches deep of wood had been gnawed off. A duck floated by as the homeowner said that they saw wildlife all the time.

I assumed that I would see some sort of wildlife this month-- at least a duck or goose or fish. But all I have seen around here are spiders.

I've been fighting a constant battle with the spiders since the beginning. There were at least 20 spiders that I counted inside of the houseboat. I vacuumed and cleaned every day that first week and they seemed to stay away... or so I thought.

This evening I came into the second floor bedroom and turned on the lights. Hanging right over the pillow on the bed was a big spider (1 inch long body). I shooed it over to the desk with a piece of paper, but when I lifted the bedspread there was a big spider trying to run away. I'm not sure if it was the same spider or another, similar looking, spider. I couldn't stand the thought of spiders dropping onto my head while I slept so I got a paper towel and killed it (with apologies to you Buddhists).

I am not going to miss the spiders in this place at all. I thought they were all gone with the cold weather. I guess not. Spider kingdom: Stay away from me if you don't want to be squished or vacuumed into oblivion. I *am* the Spider Slayer! Oh, and Happy Halloween too!

No comments:

Post a Comment