Sunday, October 24, 2010

It was a dark and stormy night...

If today's weather is any indication, the rainy season in Seattle has started. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and could hear the wind blowing against the side of the houseboat and rain pelting the roof and skylight. I went downstairs and sat at the dining table and watched the neighboring boats rock back and forth. One boat was not tied tightly and moved back and forth between 3 and 5 feet. It was fun for me to watch, though I don't think the occupant had too much fun. I saw him get off the boat and just leave as the weather started to get a little more active.

I had fun at first, but this wore off when the winds and waves picked up even more. It actually started to get a little scary and I was wondering if tall houseboats ever tip over if the wind is really strong. The bobbing motion was getting to be a little too much so I went over to my new land-based apartment and unpacked boxes.

I had plans to have dinner with a friend of mine this evening (it's Seattle Restaurant Week) and came back to the houseboat to shower and change clothes. I scrubbed down the tub then took a nice hot bath. The hot bath water felt like a decadent pleasure compared to the cold and wet weather outside. I could have fallen asleep in there. If I ever live on a houseboat or floating home again, I am going to make sure that it has a bathtub with hot running water!

The rain and winds are still hitting the side of the houseboat as I write this. I can tell that it's going to be another rough weather night. I can't imagine what it is like to live here in the winter after several months of rain. The weather forecasts predict a week of stormy weather. I think that Mother Nature will be giving me a taste of the winter-to-come in this last month of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment