Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My month of houseboat living is almost over. The weather is relatively calm again so I am going to spend tonight on the boat. It isn't stormy, but it is cold. It's 42 degrees and falling according to the marina thermometer. Those little space heaters are working hard, and it's probably in the upper 50's inside the houseboat right now.

It is funny how I have completely adjusted to the quirky features of houseboat living. I rarely notice the boat moving anymore even though I know it is moving, and that feeling of constant rocking when I am on land is starting to go away. I am also proud to say that I have had no problems with the marine head all month!

Would I live on a houseboat again? Yes. This has been a great experience. I'd even do it again in the winter--even though the storm the other night was a little unsettling. My experience has been fun, calming, adventurous, and really beautiful. It wasn't perfect-- which made it perfect for me.

Houseboat living isn't for everybody. I wouldn't live on a houseboat with small children or if I weren't able to crawl up stairs and hop over boards easily. I also don't think it's the best place if you are not already in good health since the exposure to the elements is sort of taxing. And as I've noted before, it's not for claustrophobics, arachnophobics, pack-rats, anti-socials or privacy-seekers, extremely tall or big people, people who get motion sick easily, and skittish people.

But besides that, houseboat living isn't as off-the-beaten-path as you'd think. It feels more natural and human than the 30 story concrete high-rise I lived in before the houseboat. Most of my high-rise neighborly contact was limited to small-talk in the elevator and the concrete insulated me from hearing other people. My houseboat experience has been the opposite. In fact, I hear my neighbors when they use their toilets. You can't get much more natural and human than that!

In a turbulent and crazy time of my life, houseboat living has turned out to be a good distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment