Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cleaning up and moving on

I'm on the houseboat packing up my things and cleaning up after myself. I took the sheets and towels to my land apartment yesterday and washed them this morning. I debated whether I should wash the duvet cover and table cloth too, but I'm not sure if they are machine washable so I'll leave them for the homeowner to clean. There is a clothes washer on the houseboat, but they have no dryer so the owner usually hangs the wash up in the bedroom to dry.

It is raining again. I'm going to miss the calmness of sitting at the table and watching the rain through the houseboat windows. I'm also going to miss watching and hearing the seaplanes take-off and land.

Did I get the peace that I wanted out of houseboat living this month? Yes, I think that I did. What surprised me was that it wasn't the quiet and tranquil peace that I expected at all. It was the kind of peace you get when you feel awake and life surrounds you and you feel full.

This was a great experience to distract me during the transition at work. I was able to escape (at least a little) from the day-to-day emotional turmoil there. A month later, people have resigned themselves to their worst possible fate and the roller coaster is moving more slowly now. I still don't know what is going to happen to us, and I'm still trying to decide what I will do IF they offer me a job on the East Coast.

Regardless, this experience was a part of Seattle that I will always cherish regardless of where I land.

I've now wasted too much time blogging, I've got to get back to sweeping the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment