Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 3: Settling in

The first floor of the boat got a thorough scrubbing down today. I scrubbed the floors, disinfected the bathroom, wiped the grime off the walls, doors, and cabinets, vacuumed the rugs, shook out the pillows, and removed heavy dust and grime off of pretty much every surface I could.

The woman who owns this houseboat is an interior designer so it looks cute with lots of color and knick-knacks. Unfortunately she is obviously not much of a housekeeper and all of her interiors and knick-knacks had gathered boatloads (literally) of grime and dust.

Plus it is spider season in Seattle and I've been waging a war with them all day. I left them on the outside, but banished them from the inside. Every now and then one of them would try to make a comeback, but I've been doing my best to keep them away.

The place now feels comfortable to me. It's funny how a good cleaning can do that.

The sun also came out in the afternoon and it felt like the air changed. People started pulling out their boats and more seaplanes have been taking off and landing.

I also checked out the Chinese restaurant that has been hosting those horribly loud banquets. Apparently they have swing and salsa dance nights on Thursdays and Sunday until 11:30 p.m. That leaves only Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights potentially music free. The worst of it all is that the food is overpriced mediocre Chinese food. I can't even justify the noise with good Chinese food.

Now I just need to scrub down the second floor and hose down the deck. Where's a good deckhand when you need one?

No comments:

Post a Comment